If a faculty member receives an offer from another institution, the chairperson of the department should communicate with the appropriate divisional Associate Dean and the Dean.

If the Dean agrees to extend a counter-offer, the Dean’s Administrator will prepare a letter with the terms as agreed upon by the faculty member, the chairperson, and the Dean or the divisional Associate Dean. The letter will carry the signature of either the Dean of the College or the appropriate divisional Associate Dean and will be copied to the Associate Dean (if appropriate) and the department chairperson. The Dean’s Office will send the letter to the faculty member; the faculty member must sign and return the letter in a timely fashion in order for the terms of the counter-offer to be honored.

When a faculty member decides to leave the University, the Dean’s Office and the Office of the Provost will contact them to set up an exit interview.