As we prepare for Christmas break, we write to share with you some winter safety tips and make you aware of the following steps the University will take to keep campus safe over the holidays.
The East Gate will close at 11:45 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 24, and remain closed until Sunday, Dec. 31, when it will be open from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Starting Monday, Jan. 1, the East Gate will be open daily from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Drivers with the new enhanced hang tags will be able to access the inner campus through the East Gate when the gate arm is down and when the gatehouse is unattended. The inner campus will be accessible through the Main Gate 24 hours a day through the Christmas break.
Building safety and energy conservation
Before you leave campus for the holidays, please:
- Close and lock all windows. If windows will not secure, please contact maintenance through the AiM work order system or at 574-631-8888 between 7:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Make sure the heating units in your workspace are on, with the fan setting in the “on” position.
- Defrost freezers and empty and unplug refrigerators. Leave refrigerator doors open.
- Turn off your computer.
- Turn off all copiers and printers.
- Unplug all Christmas lights.
- Turn off all other lights.
Please do not change or adjust your thermostat, as it is regulated campus-wide by utilities and maintenance personnel.
If you are on campus during break and notice a water leak or other facility-related issue, please contact the Work Control Center at 574-631-8888 or Utilities at 574-631-6594. To report an issue that occurs after hours, or to report emergencies anytime, don't hesitate to get in touch with the Notre Dame Police Department at 574-631-5555.
Winter can certainly be beautiful, and if you are well prepared for it, you can enjoy the season. For steps you can take in advance for greater wintertime safety in your home and during travel, visit cdc.gov and emergency.nd.edu.